Friday, March 12, 2010

Logistics


T minus four days until departure.

I successfully loaded all my earthly belongings into a U-Haul trailer earlier this week and drove them to Mississippi. I learned during the 20-hour and 1,000 mile trek that there are no Chick-Fil-As in the 150 miles between Roanoke and Bristol and that no one who lives between Roanoke and Chattanooga has ever heard of Diane Rehm or Terry Gross. I filled in the gaps of NPR coverage with David Sedaris on tape. I busted out Pat Green's Carry On when I hit the Mississippi state line: Baby's just a little bit tired of the city / Billboards and bullshit got her down / Yeah, everybody gotta get away sometime / Forget about yourself for awhile...


My possessions currently sit in my parents' front living room, much to my mother's chagrin. After moving them 1,000 miles, another few feet into the attic and garage seems like an impossible task. Perhaps I'll get inspired from Jackson-boredom this weekend.

It's the final count-down for logistics and I feel pretty good about it. I got notice that I've been accepted for an independent Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance plan when my employer-subsidized plan runs out at the end of this month. I've also successfully applied for international coverage in case of an emergency. Other things on the check-list include putting together a med-kit (check), buying a pair of zip-off cargo pants (check), touching base with the family friend in Bangkok (two attempts made, but so far no response), and getting my finances in order (half-check).

My mom is off this weekend to have her "re-live college days in the Tennessee mountains" weekend so it's just me and Pops. There are a few of my friends around this weekend because of spring break, so hopefully I won't get too bored in the next few days. For now, it's just the count-down...

1 comment:

  1. tell me about the chick-fil-a. i can not tell you how many times i have "just wait and check the next exit"-ed on that drive. And it never comes. I have remembered the last several trips which has made it a bit less disappointing.

    ReplyDelete